Monday, July 20, 2009

BCPSS - Are things getting better?

Renewing my certification has always been frustrating. I have been given incorrect/incomplete information every time I've renewed. This time I thought I had everything complete. I'd taken my 6 credit hours and submitted my official transcripts a year in advance. Three months before renewal I emailed the certification office to verify that everything was set for renewal. No response. A month before renewal I again emailed. No response. I really wasn't worried because I was sure that I was fine. WRONG. On July 3rd I checked the MSDE site to see if I'd been updated. I hadn't been. On the 5th I went to North Ave. to see what was wrong. First she pulled out transcripts from my last renewal period (5 years ago) and told me that I was missing a signature on one transcript and that one course had been taken too long ago. I directed her to the UMBC transcript in her hand and told her THAT was the one I'd submitted for this renewal. Then she told me that I was missing 3 satisfactory evaluations. When I said that I've never had to submit evaluations before and was under the impression that, since one copy of our evaluations goes to HR, they would be on file. She showed me a copy of a letter that I should have recieved, but didn't, after the last renewal, stating that we had to submit evaluations. Before I left to return home to get my copies, I showed her copies of an email I'd sent asking about my renewal and asked why no one had responded. She just shrugged her shoulders. I hurried home, made copies of my evaluations and dropped them off. As of this moment, my MSDE status shows no changes...

No comments: