Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Why I (sometimes) love my neighborhood.

I've lived here, in the same house, for 2o years now. It's the longest I've lived anywhere. I'm really a small town girl at heart, totally unprepared for some of the things I've seen and experienced here. Each time I visit my hometown, a place I left 30 years ago, I'm overcome with the urge to return to a place where most everybody knows (even after 30 years) who I am. While I also appreciate a certain amount of anonymity (like the mornings when I desperately run to the store, without make-up or a shower, in search of coffee!), from time to time the feeling of belonging hits me here in my urban neighborhood. Today is a prime example. I walked to the library (please patronize the library, I'm so afraid that it will be snatched from us due to under use/budget cuts). It was a quick trip to drop of one book and pick up one that was on hold for me. As I was checking out, the door opened and I heard someone come in and say, "Hello." I turned and returned the greeting, noting that it was my mailman. He placed some mail and a package on the desk next to me. He pushed the package toward me and said, "This is for you." I was stunned! Apparently he'd seen me out and was concerned that I wouldn't be home when he tried to deliver the package, causing me to have to take a trip to the post office tomorrow. Very nice! He's pleasant demeanor and helpfulness almost make up for the grumpy old white guys who work behind the counter at the PO!

No comments: